Licensure & Requirements

The first step in the application process is to apply to Wise Owl Animal Hospital. You can find our online application here or use the yellow buttons in the menu to the left. Once you have submitted this application, you will be contacted by our hospital administrator within 1-2 weeks. In the meantime, please look over and begin to gather the items necessary to work in Guam:

As a territory of the United States of America, Guam holds reciprocity with other states. However, Guam does not permit veterinarians to practice medicine under the licensure of another veterinarian. Rather, each veterinarian, whether relief or permanent, is required to obtain their own Guam Veterinary License. There are a few other required documents to solidify your eligibility to practice veterinary medicine in Guam:


Required documents to work on Guam:

1. Guam Veterinary License

2. Controlled Substance Registration (CSR)

3. Category II USDA accreditation

4. DEA License

(you can click on any of the above to jump to that section)


You will need your Guam Veterinary License in order to obtain a USDA accreditation for Guam and a Controlled Substance Registration (CSR). You then need the CSR to get a DEA permit for Guam. 


Below we have detailed the advice and experiences of past applicants in regards to their application process with the licensure board in Guam. The list may or may not be all-inclusive of what the board requests of you. Please feel free to contact us with specific questions. 

Guam Veterinary License

This part of the process takes the longest, usually between 6 - 10 months. All application materials must be received by the Board of Allied Health Examiners before the first Friday of every month. If you do not have everything sent to the office prior to the meeting, they will not put you on the agenda until the following month. Send everything priority mail - don't bother with overnight shipping because it is impossible for USPS to overnight mail from the States to Guam. 

Guam Veterinary License Application Part I

Guam Veterinary License Application Part II

 What you will need to gather & complete to apply for a Guam Veterinary License (recommended from previous applicants):

    1. List all jurisdictions in the US or foreign countries where you are licensed or where you have applied for licensure. If you have any license verification documents, send those.
    2. You will be asked to list a detailed chronological life history, detailed educational history, and military service, if applicable. 
    3. Official transcripts from your veterinary school will need to be mailed from the school and the certificate of attendance form (which is part of the application). Make a copy for #4.
    4. Official transcripts from your undergraduate university will need to be mailed from the school and the certificate of attendance.
    5. Copy of your NAVLE scores. Might as well notarize it too. 
    6. Notarized copy of your veterinary school diploma.
    7. Notarized copy of your undergraduate degree diploma. If your diploma is in any other language except English (Latin is not an exception), you must have a notarized copy of a translation of the diploma. 
    8. Notarized copy of your current veterinary license(s).
    9. Three letters of reference. Original or notarized copies. One must be from a veterinarian that you currently work with. You can put the letters in the application package. They don't have to be sent separately but should be placed in a sealed envelope.
    10. Proof of your membership in the AVMA. (Some sent a copy of their card and a copy of their AVMA PLIT).
    11. A set of fingerprints (your local police department can usually do this).
    12. Police clearance/background check from your last place of residence (your local police department can do this).
    13. Proof of US citizenship (notarized copy of your passport is recommended).
    14. Recent photograph (passport specifications).
    15. Money order for $250 made out to Treasurer of Guam:

           Department of Public Health and Social Services

Guam Board of Allied Health Examiners
123 Chalan Kareta
Mangilao, Guam  96913
(671) 735-7407 thru 7411

Controlled Substance Registration (CSR)

As soon as you get your Guam Veterinary License, send in a CSR application with a copy of your Guam license and a check for $??? payable to Treasurer of Guam:

Department of Public Health and Social Services

Division of Environmental Health

Controlled Substances Program

123 Chalan Kareta

Mangilao, Guam 96913-6304

P: (671) 735-7221

F: (671) 734-5556

Category II USDA Accreditation


You can be accredited in multiple states/territories. As soon as you get your Guam Veterinary License, fill out VS Form 1-36A and send it to your district office via snail mail (they require the original signature) plus

As of January 2017, Guam's NAVP District Coordinator is:

Todd D. Cares

10365 Old Placerville Road, Suite 210

Sacramento, CA 95827

P: (916) 854-3903

F: (916) 363-3919

[email protected]


Click here for list of all district coordinators

DEA Change of Address

As soon as you get your CSR number, go on the DEA website and submit the online application for change of location where you practice. It will ask you for your Guam Veterinary License number and your CSR number. Fill that out and you should within a few days get an email asking for a copy of your license and your CSR. Scan and email to the DEA official. After that they will send to the clinic within 10-14 days, your new DEA registration to use in Guam. 

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you


Office Hours

Our Covid-19 Schedule


9:00 am-5:00 pm


9:00 am-5:00 pm


9:00 am-5:00 pm


9:00 am-5:00 pm


9:00 am-5:00 pm


9:00 am-5:00 pm



Mail: [email protected]
Tel:  (671) 646-CARE (2273)
 (671) 646-2264 

Emergencies: (671) 929-4904
Please follow the voice mail instructions.